Roast Turkey with Sage
Posted on November 15, 2012 by Webdev
- 20-24 pound turkey (free range if you can find one)
- 1 bunch fresh sage leaves, whole
- 4 large garlic cloves, minced
- 1 tablespoon fresh rosemary, minced
- 2 tablespoon fresh oregano, minced
- 1 teaspoon dried sage, crumbled not powdered
- 1 teaspoon dried thyme
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon ground black pepper
- olive oil in spray bottle, not aerosol, non-alcohol
- 1/2 cup gf chicken broth
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1 cup unsalted butter, melted
- 1 cup dry white wine
- * 6 hours prior to preparation inject turkey with the following liquid:
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 8 ounces dry white wine
- 6 ounces grapefruit juice
- Mix dry ingredients together, add liquids and stir till even consistancy. Inject into breasts, thighs, legs and wings.
Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
Wash, drain and pat turkey dry, inside and out. With your hands, loosen skin on breast from cavity end and neck end. Leave skin attached at breast bone. Take individual sage leaves and place in a decorative pattern under skin on both sides of breast, placing leaves rib-side down.
In a small bowl mix garlic, herbs, spices, salt and pepper. Gently rub 2/3 of the mixture on inside and outside of bird.
Generously spray roasting pan and rack with olive oil. Add 1/2 cup broth and 1/2 cup wine to pan, place turkey on rack.
Mix remaining garlic mixture with melted butter and 1 cup wine. Roast for 20-25 minutes then baste with butter mixture. Baste every 25 minutes using pan juices as well as butter mixture. Roast 4 to 4-1/2 hours or until a thermometer inserted into thickest part of thigh reads
180-185 degrees F.
Transfer turkey to a platter, tent with foil for 15-20 minutes to allow juices to settle and to finish cooking.
Use pan dripping to make gravy.
Tip: This turkey finishes beautifully. The injection process gives the turkey meat a wonderful flavor throughout. Injecting any roasted poultry will inhance the finished taste and guarantee a moist bird. Experiment with injecting ingredients.
Weekly Newsletter Signup Important Information About Gluten-Free Recipes About Glutenfreeda
For Customer Service please contact Glutenfreeda.com at (970) 319-0382
Problems logging in or technical assistance, e-mail the webmaster